Sous Chef: Kihei, Maui
Come join our ‘ohana! Maui Brewing Company (MBC) has launched a restaurant division, with our newest location in Kihei, on the island of Maui. We’re looking for the right restaurant professional with experience working in high volume restaurants to join our Kihei restaurant as the Sous Chef.
MBC Restaurants are a direct extension of the values and practices we employ in brewing our handcrafted ales and lagers. We are passionate about the craft beer way of life, using local ingredients and sustainability. We’re building a solid team that will share these passions and execute them operationally.
Please note that all interested parties must apply through the contacts listed in this job posting. Do not contact MBC locations directly. Applicants who apply without going through this post will not be considered.
Position: Sous Chef
Location: Restaurant, Kihei, HI 96753
Reports to: Executive Chef & GM
Salary: $50,000 – $70,000
Sous Chef Job Description:
Provide the highest level of quality and service to our guests in an incredibly friendly atmosphere. Assist the Chef with all aspects of the kitchen operations and management of the culinary team. Assume all the duties and responsibilities of the Chef in his/her absence. The Sous Chef is responsible to perform duties of all kitchen positions when necessary.
Sous Chef Essential Job Duties:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Support the Chef in the management of the kitchen and the restaurant culinary team. Anticipate, identify, and correct any issues with inventory, systems, and staffing.
• Assist the Chef in creating the kitchen budget and annual Business Plan; support the execution of the restaurant Business Plan through completion of assigned action steps.
• Assist the Chef with kitchen succession planning with and recommendations for training and development.
• Assist the Chef with all food, kitchen supply, and equipment costs and inventories.
• Utilize ChefTec Accounting and Management System to input inventory counts, new items, recipes, and to review and post inventory reports.
• Responsible for supporting, meeting, and maintaining budgeted food costs; assist with preparation of monthly and quarterly theoretical food costs.
• Assist in creation and development of menu items based on palatability, nutritional value, portion size, presentation, restaurant concept, and cost. Create specials following MBC guidelines.
• Assist the Chef in planning and completing of quarterly food tastings to review execution of current menu items and share new menu ideas.
• Review menu items and analyze recipes to assist the Chef in determining labor and overhead costs, and assigning prices to menu items.
• Work with the Chef, General Manager, and MBC marketing firm to create physical menus including item descriptions, layout, and general design.
• Assist the Chef with researching all food and kitchen supply venders to ensure MBC standards of quality are met while supporting the business plan and budget.
• Work with the Chef to create the budget for kitchen capital improvements, and assist in overseeing all aspects of those improvements including facility and equipment.
• Support the Chef in managing all aspects of kitchen organization, cleanliness, and maintenance, utilizing in-house maintenance staff and outside maintenance contractors.
• Assist the Chef with lease negotiation of kitchen equipment as well as all repairs and maintenance.
• Work with the Chef on special events, coordinating with event organizers on menus/food items, necessary equipment/supplies, and budget. Coordinate with restaurant management on event planning and staffing.
• Assist the Chef with scheduling responsibilities of culinary team including aiding in the review and approval of all kitchen schedules.
• Participate in the hiring process by completing interviews, making hiring recommendations, and assisting the Chef in making job offers as approved.
• Assist with the implementation and management of MBC policies and procedures.
• Support the Chef in the management of all kitchen staff focusing on moral, training opportunities, advancement, and recommending necessary employment actions. Conduct meetings of disciplinary action and coaching opportunities.
• Assist the Chef in meeting the budgeted labor percentage while upholding MBC standards for quality.
• Accountable for upholding MBC Safety Program and compliance with State, Federal and MBC food handling requirements and standards. Ensure all health and fire department regulations are followed.
• Assist in the planning and preparation for MBC audit process.
• Must be dependable, report to work as scheduled and on time, and follow all policies regarding scheduling and attendance. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job.
Sous Chef Position Requirements:
• Generally – Ability to perform the Sous Chef job duties listed above in a professional and competent manner.
• Customer Oriented – Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following MBC procedures.
• Working Under Pressure – Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
• Safety – Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety as well as safely operate and handle all required equipment, appliances, and tools. Must follow all safety policies and procedures.
• Active Listening – Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
• Communication – Ability to communicate by speaking and writing, effectively and clearly with guests, coworkers, and management.
• Leadership and Management – Ability to organize self and direct and influence others to perform their jobs effectively.
• Decision Making and Judgment – Make sound decisions with available information while following MBC policy.
• Goal Oriented – Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a predetermined result.
• Conflict Management – Ability to deal with others in a negative situation and work towards a positive outcome.
• Coaching and Development – Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen their knowledge and skills.
• Response to Direction – Receive and follow directions from supervisors.
• Teamwork Abilities – Ability to work together with a team in a positive manner to achieve a common goal.
• Friendly and Energetic- Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others and bring energy to the performance of the task.
• Neat and well groomed.
Experience: 5 years cooking experience and one-year management
Computer Skills: Microsoft Excel and Word
ChefTec or similar accounting and management system
Certificates & Licenses: Graduate of an accredited culinary school; or completion of an advanced Greystone Culinary class
Job offer contingent upon completion of background screening (any matters related to a management position may be considered in employment decision)
Compensation: $50,000 – $70,000 annual, but is negotiable for highly qualified candidates